Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Club Scrap Team Challenge: Batiks

Can you believe we are nearly at the end of January.  When I put my finishing touches on this set of card and started photographing, I nearly panicked  thinking Valentines Cards need mailed!!! But I need to make them, oh well and so it goes.  This month's challenge was to use a technique that had the impression of Batik.  This is easy for me.  If you look over my blog's history, you will see that this is my fail proof background technique.  But I need to to change it up a bit so I could show you something new.  Are you ready?  Well first lets make sure you have the links for the hop.  You should have arrived here from Jennifer.  To start at the beginning:  CLICK HERE.   Your stop after mine is Cheryl.

Lets start with the first group:
Stunning you say!!!  Well I started out with a stack of backgrounds, seems I really like blue, green and purple because that was the only ones I liked.  Since they are so "matched" I think I will turn them into a set and give as a gift.  They were made the same way generally.


From my dragonfly pop up card, 2 blog posting back, I had several cutouts of the stamped dragonfly.  They made the perfect stencil.

I cut them apart, put them in my Club Scrap Pizza Box and sprayed them with adhesive spray.  What I learned was don't leave them too long, spray, apply, emboss and get them off the background or they will be permanently adhered.

Next I arranged them on my papers and using an ink blending tool, embossing ink, covered the inside of the stencil.  Moving from the outside in.

Closer view:  I prefer the Ranger Embossing ink for this technique.  One I have the reinker, makes it easier to get the goo where I want it and enough goo to do the job.  Second it is a bit more sticky than other embossing ink.  I prefer the other ink when I am not applying to a stencil.  3rd, it seems to allow the ink to move under the embossing.  When I use Versamark for example, it is often solid.  This is a batik like technique so I needed the bleed.

The top dragonfly shows that bleed the best.  Next I sprayed inks or stains onto my craft sheet and dipped the paper into the inks.  I used Broken China, Twisted Citron, Fresh Violets for my inks.

On tip that I often miss mentioning, is an important one.   When I make my first pass through the ink, I stop and heat set it.  Then dip into the ink again, heat set.  Add any additional color and dip again. Many times I hear that "I just get mud", these inks are water reactive, so if you heat between dips, the color remains clear.  Once dry I spray with water to distress.  That is it!

The next step is to get rid of the embossing powder.  I have been using my Minc   Put a piece white copy paper around the card, and run through the Minc on a setting of 4.  Takes only one pass to clean up the embossing.


The clear on the white paper is the removed embossing powder.  Quick and easy!!


For the next background I tried something different.  I used Distress Micro glaze.  Instead of using the dauber, I just covered the inside of the stencil with the micro glaze, being careful to not add too much.  The first 2 were on water color paper, for this one, I used plain white card stock.

This looks different, more splotchy and the images are not as defined.  The paper curls but I like it and it adds interest.


To finish up, I added my die cut words that were cut from Heidi Swapp glitter tape or stamped in black ink.  Added some sequins to complete 3 cards that are clean and simple and will be easily mailed.

Lets look at them up close!
This is the one that I stamped.

Final card is more of the same, but I inked the background rather than dipping it into the ink.  

Started out the same,  Stamped in Versamark on Watercolor paper.  Heat embossed in clear.

Sprayed with water and ran through the Minc.  Easy!!

Next I added a ribbon, sentiment, trimmed the corners and mounted it on an A2 Pink Card base.  A few sequins, finished.  Simple and easy but not ordinary.  

That is it for this hop, stayed tuned for next months kit and another interactive pop up card,  Remember to hop along to Cheryl's Blog.just  Click Here

Happy Crafting.
 Josette

Links:

9 comments:

  1. Very pretty cards, the colors are so vibrant and love all the dragonflies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty cards and I like how you used the cutouts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thank you card in greens and teal is incredible! (And thanks for the tip on using stencils for the technique!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What colorful and HAPPY cards! Great tips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely Beautiful cards Josette!!! LOve how you used the cutouts as mask, that is very clever idea!!!
    Hugs
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so bold and bright! What fun techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea with your bold images and I LOVE the result, Josette.
    I am sure your Valentine cards will be ready soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such bold and gorgeous results!Love them all!!!

    ReplyDelete