Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Club Scrap: Team Challenge

Hello, time for Team Challenge.  This month the challenge was to use paper lace doilies and or a set of tags that was included with our kit.   You should have arrived here from: Jennifer or if you lost, you can start at the beginning by click here.

When  I saw the soft pink and doilies, wedding came to mind.  So my first project is just that.

Project 1:

Lets start with the card base.  This is not a standard size.  I was limited by the doilies and the embossing folder.  I needed enough room for the dress.  So, slightly larger than an A2 and not quite a 5 x 7.  This is an example of just "making it work.  Because of the size constraints I started with the embossed card stock, created the doily and finally the dress.
So lets start with the embossing.

The pink glimmery cardstock in the kit was perfect and I had a Tim Holtz embossing folder that was a perfect match.  This paper is thinner and the folder embosses deep.  How to keep it from cracking.
I cut a slightly larger piece of paper and spritzed with water, then used a tab on my Big Shot that did not give me a lot of pressure and held my breath!!!  Perfect.  Once it dried out I trimmed it down.  I left the bottom edge alone (where it did not emboss) and covered it with a ribbon, as I needed the length.

With that step done, I needed to fabricate the "doily matt".  The matt measurement was shorter than the doily.  So I needed to trim it down but wanted those corners.


I layered two doilies until the design aligned perfectly, glued them together.  The edge of the dress will cover that area as well.  This was case of planning at every step.  The matt was adhered to the embossed panel then a ribbon was added to the bottom and a bow with charm to the top and finally all was adhered to the Grey cardstock that had been cut and folded into the card base.

On to the dress.  There are many different patterns and ideas for dresses on Pinterest.  But I needed a specific size that would fit on my card and also work with my doily.  So with ruler and a coffee filter created the dress pattern.  I used the coffee filter for 2 reasons.  The first was that it is cut into a perfect circle.  I marked the center.  The second was it has fold already to help me shape my dress.


The dotted lines are the valley folds and the solid are the mountain folds.  I just roughly cut it in half and used the pattern on my doily to fold it.


Cut out the center of the doily and carefully placed my pattern to maximize the pattern on the doily.
Cut out the pattern and then folded along the fold lines on the pattern.
the dress is adhered on the card in the middle and on the two sides, giving a 3D look.


Created a bodice pattern, cut it out from the center of another doily, backed it with pink paper, added a jewel and mounted it on the card with glue dots and dimensional foam squares.

Finished!!  No sentiment required.  I will place the message on the inside.  Ready for the next wedding.
Close up of dress
Project 2:


Simple card.  this is an 5.5" square card.  I stamped the sentiment on white cardstock with a grey archival ink and distressed  with Pumice Stone Distress.  This was die cut using a spellbinders die and mounted on a grey mat that had also been cut with the same die.  The tag is from the kit, threaded with antique looking ribbon and embellished with abalone shell buttons.  This was also distressed with pumice stone and stamped in a grey archival ink (Wendy Vechi Watering Can).

The pink and grey paper from the kit was cut into a 5.25" square mat and all was layered onto the grey 5.5" square card base.  Simple and elegant.  Perfect for a friend.

This card is flat and very simple because it needs to be able to fit into Project 3.

Project 3:  The Envelope.

This is the easiest project ever.  I took the doily and scored along the edges of the solid center.

Notch out the corners so it will fold and not bunch up.
Added score tape to center and edges.  Cut a square of the pink shiny paper that was included in kit and adhered to the center.  This is for stability.  Then folded up the edges, glued everything closed except the top and added a button.

Finished and open.

Card fits perfectly in envelop.  If I were to mail this, I would make an envelope out of cardstock and slide this set into it.  This idea would make nice invitations for an anniversary or wedding shower.
A perfect Pair!!!

Thank is all from me.  Your next stop is:  Debbie.

Be sure and stop by next week for our monthly Blog Hop,
Happy Crafting,
Josette

Links:
http://clubscrapClub Scrap
Paper Lace Mats
White Tags
Paris Flea Market, Deluxe Kit

20 comments:

  1. That dress is so presious, Josette and the cards are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dress is gorgeous!! Beautiful cards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dress is so cute, and the envelope looks so elegant. (Great minds think alike! lol< I did a similar envelope!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pieces! Love the paper lace dress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cards are just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful work here, josette! thanks for sharing your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cards are stunning. Upon first glance, however, I thought they were covers for mini albums...I could totally see that, too! Great ideas, here, thanks for the "how to".

    ReplyDelete
  8. That dress is impressive! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a spectacular wedding card! That dress is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I absolutely love this. What bride wouldn't be in awe to receive that beautiful card?! (Wedding on the brain for good reason, I'm sure!) Thanks for sharing your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! Love the dress card - so very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. O.M.G! That Dress! What a great idea...so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the dress. It made for a beautiful card and envelope. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow what a gorgeous dress you created with the paper lace mats. Your cards are simply stunning and very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh my that dress is just amazing...wonderful idea...really!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful projects! Love the dress card!
    Lilian
    The Leaf Studio

    ReplyDelete
  17. What size doily did you use for the envelope? LOve it!

    ReplyDelete