Saturday, March 19, 2016

Special Cards: Special Technique: Update

Hello friends,
I have been absent for a bit.  March has been a month of change and travel.  My crafting time has been severely limited but I did manage to make a few things. So what have I been up to!!
Well, my eldest daughter got married in Washington State.  So we spent the first part of the month finishing details and traveling.  It was a beautiful Wedding!!
Siobhan and Troy Silva
When we returned from Washington, I started a new position at Texas Pain Relief Group.  In the two years since I last worked in Chronic Pain, there has been a huge explosion of medication and treatment options that have become available.  So, I have been rapidly learning all about the newer medication and the ramifications of Pain Management in Texas, oh so different from Washington.  But I love the Clinic and the patients.  I am truly enjoying the challenge of this type of practice.  I am not cut out for urgent care.  I need to know I am making a difference and every day at this clinic I am making a difference and helping these patients maintain function and quality to their lives.  Thank you TPRG, so glad to be on your team!!

Ok, back to crafting.  I did a video for Colourarte with Twinkling H20 and used Club Scrap stamps.
I would like to share more information about this technique.  The results are stunning and very easy to accomplish
Black or very dark card stock can be a challenge for the stamper.  You either have to stamp in White, heat emboss with a light color or stamp your image on another color and mat with black or dark cardstock.  How do you stamp directly on this darker cardstock without using white ink or embossing powder.  The answer is bleach.  In my blog post of September 15, 2015 . the Club Scrap Challenge was to use bleach and I did, but only to alter the background.

In this technique I took it one step further.  Using the same Stamps, Transformation Stamp Set from Club Scrap, I choose the two Ginkgo leave stamps.

I tested my brown paper and blacks to determine which one gave me the "bleached color" I was after.


Bleach produces different colors on different Cardstock.  It can also be directly sprayed onto the cardstock for an interesting effect.

The Card Process:

Using the black cardstock and the smaller leaf stamp, I painted the stamp with bleach and then stamped the cardstock. This stamping needs to be lighter, so, I first stamped off onto another paper then onto the card stock.

Next I used a stamp positioner,  then I "inked the stamp" with bleach and applied to central area of cardstock. This was full strength, no stamping off.  I am trying to lighten the area that will be stamped with color.

All of the bleach stamping is complete.  See how that bleach puddled, that area will show up the colored image best.  OK, to this point, we have not changed the process much.  The next few steps is what kicks it up a notch.

Start by adding paint or ink to your stamp.  I am using Twinkling H20, as I like the glimmer and this technique is well suited to their properties.  I have done this with other water colors and ink, but I still think the Twinks shine here..

I am layering 3 different colors of paint onto my stamp.  This will then be directly stamped over the bleached image using the stamp positioner.
Once the center is stamped, spray the stamp with a small amount of water and stamp to fill in the background.
Second generation stamping finished. Light enough not to fight with the central image, but adds interest and glimmer.   You can now continue to layer more paint onto the images.  It is not necessary to clean the stamp or have the image dry to continue with layering.
Here I have layered gold onto the image.  Allow to dry naturally.  Don't use a heat tool if using any paint with Mica as the mica has a tendency to bubble when layered on this thick.

Final cards.  The image was  trimmed down and matted onto gold paper, and  then onto a black A2 card Base.  My intention was to create a set of note cards.  Beautiful aren't they!!

Here is the sprayed background finished as well.  The bleach makes the paper more porous, so it sucks up the ink.  This makes it difficult to get a crisp second generation stamp, but I like the effect of the splotchy stamping.  This piece was matted and framed and given as a gift.

Here is the link to video that shows this technique in action!:  YouTube Video

I hope you enjoyed this technique and will give it a try.  Be sure and check out all the selection of Club Scrap stamps.  They are a deep etched red rubber that shines with this direct stamping technique.


Be sure and come back for the Artist Team Blog Hop Next Month.
Happy Crafting,
Josette

Links:
Small gingko leave
Center Leaf
http://clubscrap.com
Bleach Technique on dark cardstock Video

5 comments:

  1. 1. Congratulations on your daughter's marriage! That must have been a busy and exciting time for you!
    2. Way to go on the new job in pain management. I'm sure you will be a blessing to the patience and staff, as well.
    3. Wow! Thanks for the breakdown of your experimentation with bleach and Twinks! Great work! (I love that ginkgo image...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that technique!!! And congrats on you daughter getting married! Exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Josette on your dd's wedding and the new job.
    Your card is beautiful with a great technique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a magnificent technique! I just love the addition of the gold!

    ReplyDelete