Ok, lets take a look at my project. I have not embellished it, so this is the blank book prior to giving it to its recipient.
The kit this month is Literature. What better to represent literature than file folders. While I was in grad school, I had file folders everywhere. Even the though of those days makes me think of those stacks of folders. I work in medicine now, and the file folder is a fond memory of those days. But this book if for my daughter who competed this summer in Rio at the Paralympic Games and I needed a "folder" to collect her pictures and memorabilia. This kit was perfect and so I took my file folder idea and headed out to Pinterest. I was not sure what I was looking for, but I found this lovely album that uses the We Are Memory Makers, envelop board to create this file folder album. There was nothing unique or creative about my book, I just followed the instructions and it came out perfectly. So here is the link to the web site with all the instructions, including measurements. Envelope punch board album. Be warned, this takes an enormous amount of paper. I used my entire kit and finished off a drawer full of scraps.
I am only going to share the parts that were difficult to understand in hopes of clarifying and some changes I made in construction.
Start with the cover. After cutting my chip board, I ran then through the byron.
This gives me a layer of adhesive on the back side and helps to prevent shifting.
I adhered the chip board to the cover paper, and added score tape around the edges. I would recommend cutting the paper 1/4 inch bigger all the way around, but this did work, just no wiggle room.
I used 2 thickness of chipboard, laid this along the corner and used it to cut my corner. This is a good trick to prevent those dog ears. Then I just folded over my edges and burnished all the edges and corners.
I applied score tape to the chip board before attaching my paper. This was not a step included but again gives more stability.
Here is with all the chip board covered and the side pocket finished. The directions here are excellent, just do what she says. The pocket is where the book slides in. I used scortape throughout.
See how when flat, there are ripples over the edges, just burnish down, they will be fine.
Next add the cover papers to the front. Here is a little trick. Put the score tape down on all four sides, then fold back a small area of the cover tape.
Now when you go to apply the paper, you haven't committed the entire adhesive area and this makes repositioning a snap. Make sure you can grab those turned over bits and just zip that paper in place, slick.
Back to the inside.
After you cut those flaps, use temporary tape to fit them together. This makes positioning a snap. There are many instructions out there on how to use the envelop board. I found the easiest is to use even measurement, 5,6, 4 inches, whole numbers, at the center place your first notch. Then where ever you want the "file" tab, right or left, just position in the center of the punch. Trim off the end that is "not the tab" to the center, perfect. Try this on some scrap to get the hang of it. If the paper needs to be smaller than the whole measure, trim after finishing on both ends. You can do two thinner papers at the same time, but put right sides together so they are mirrored images.
Here they are installed. After covering the outside, I placed brads and then covered the inside.
To keep the brad from being too tight and allow me to be able to wrap the string. I folded two pieces of scrap paper under the head, on the left, inserted the string and tightened down the arms. On the other side I was careful to keep the "gap" The paper helped.
I decided to make 8 pages. This was because I had 4 sheets of 12x12 in red and kraft. I could get 2 out of each piece. Again her instructions for the pages are perfect, just follow them. Here are a few photos of the pages.
I needed to use scraps and other papers to finish all these pages. I tied them together by distressing the papers. If they were too light, the ink took care of it and when they were finished they looked like they were meant to be together, even though I have no idea where most of them came from. This is one side.
this is back side with pocket and photo mat in place. This pocket gave me pause. There is a "hinge on both of the short ends that attaches the folder to the main page. this elevates the paper so that the mat slides in nicely. Just remember the hinges go on the short end and then onto the page. I kept trying to bend it around something, and there is not bending just stick and stick.
The mats and the tags are straight forward and I used all her measurements without adjustment.
here is a pick of the tag with the first cut. This one is not in the center, just follow her measurement.
See how I just cut that end off. Then covered both sides with paper.
The tag inserts into the pocket at the top, but wait until your book is finished before inserting.
Almost done. I make 2 chipboard covers for my book and covered them from and back. I think it looked nicer. Then I used my Bind it all to put it all together. the back cover slides into the pocket on the right of the cover.
I alternated the "file ends" for interest only. I only did a 6 whole binding.
Inserted with front pocket opened.
Inside of book cover with first page showing.
All I need to do now is embellish the fromt and spine, add photos and memorabilia and it is ready to delivery.
Hope you enjoyed this project, remember your next stop is Deb