This is a vintage circus themed kit, with wonderful sentiments and luscious papers. I received the Deluxe Kit to play with, and having those nice big 12 X 12 Sheets, led me to one of my favorite card types: Interactive Cards. I love interactive cards, figuring out the mechanics and how to fill in all that space.
Card 1: Interactive Card with pop up and a wobbler.
This card is straightforward: I cut the base out using a Sizzix die.
I cut this out of the blue circus paper. The main focus of this card is the carousel stamp that will be applied to the pop out area.
So let us see how I made this card. First using the die, I cut out the circus paper. Then using the blue and white patterned paper, cut a second card that measured 5 x 12 inches and rounded the corners.
Using the same die, for the tickets, in the next card, cut out the tickets and stamped them onto the green card stock, stapled them together and mounted them on a wobbler. This was applied to the top of the card.
|look close and you can see the wobbler mechanism.|
The tent, carousel animals, Big Top Tag, border and the stamp used for the front of the card were stamped onto Neenah Solar White Card Stock with Momento ink: Tuxedo Black. All were colored with Copic Markers. The tent topper was fussy cut, Carousel animals were cut with a label die that matched the pop up base and the rest were trimmed with a trimmer after coloring.
|Copic: Horse: W0,W1,W3, Y35, B05|
Elephant: W0, W3,W5,R27, Y13
Camel: ,E53, E55, R27, B05
Background: E000,E41,E51,E53,E55,Y 26,Y28, BG0000, BG10
Multiliner in Black, .25 mm was used to add impression of boards to label.
I used Distress Antique Linen to color the background of the Sentiment. The letters and ribbons were colored with copics, as was the border stamp. Stickles were used for the stars. Copics: R27, B05, Y35, Y11, B000. Stickles: Cranberry and Goldenrod.
The front of the card was blended with Distress: Tumbled Glass and Antique Linen, layered onto Circus Paper and embellished with ribbon and pearls from kit.
Card 2: This is a Bendi Card.
I have never made one before and thought the kit would lend itself well to the design. There was a major learning curve with this one, mostly related to mechanics.
So I started with a basic template. I found this on Splitcoast Stampers.com. Here is a link to the original posting. YouTube Tutorial on Bendi Card. There is also written instructions on Splitcoast stampers, search for Bendi Fold.
I started with the template. First I made a card using the dimensions provided on the tutorial. Then I created a mock up with my idea for the Big Top. Adjusted measurements accordingly .
I started with a half sheet of White Card stock, Neenah Solar White, and applied Fired Brick Distress in to a Tim Holtz Stencil. I applied the ink heavier in areas and lighter in others, I was thinking about the curve of a tent and how the light would hit.
Next I added antique linen Distress to age and darken the white areas. Again, thinking about light and shadow. I also blended out the red in the areas where there was too much contrast.
Fussy cut the carousel panel from one of the preprinted pages. Layer down the cut out panel and traced out the edges, and drew in the line where I would cut away the stenciling.
|Once marked, I cut out the piece along the pencil lines. Glued the panel onto the card base and now for the flaps.|
Embellishments: The tag on the larger flap, was cut from the same paper as the carousel and adhered to the panel. Now for the tickets:
|First color applied to tag. This was done using a direct ink to paper application. First application of ink was with Faded Jeans on Kraft paper. I used a light hand and left it sketchy.|
|Second ink application. The blue needed variety, so I added a small amount of Blueprint Distsress to add dimension.|
Fired Brick was applied to a second paper with the same technique. No second ink color was used on this one.
All were lightly sprayed to further distress the ink and they were cut into tags and stamped.
Besides the tickets and fussy cut embellishment, I also created a Happy Birthday for the inside of the card.
Slots were cut into the flaps, as described in the Bendi Instructions. Flaps adhered and finished.
One note on the birthday tag. First I bent the flap that it would be adhered to. I applied Glossy Accents to just the very edge of the tag. This left the center free so that the tab could be inserted from the front, go behind the tag and not be seen. The tassel was created by glueing yarn around a stick, tassel added and glued to card.
Not a hard card to make just a lot of steps. The first card is easier, but then you have all the coloring. I guess it is a toss up, but I like them both.
That is it for today. Stop back next week as see what the team produced for the Team Challenge. There is also a blog hop on October 27. My addition to the hop will feature more fun designs from this Kit as well as exploring how to chose which Copic Colors to use and why.
See you soon,
Supplies and Links:
Dies: The Karen Burniston Dies through Sizzix are no longer available. She is now designing for Elizabeth Crafts, she has several Pop up dies that will work for this design idea and can be easily modified. I personally prefer her new line as it has more versatility, but I have the old one, so there you go.
Inks: Distress: Fired Brick, Antique Linen, Faded Jeans, Blueprint Sketch
Momento: Tuxedo Black
Stickles: Goldenrod and Cranberry
There are a lot of markers here. During the blog hop, I am going to discuss Copics and help you decide which and how many of these markers you need. You do not need all of them, but if you have a lot, use them, if not improvise. So be sure and come back as I discuss these wonderful markers.