How did I create this. First there is a video on YouTube that shows the entire process. But let me give you a run down of the process.
First I needed to create a background. I made several!!!
All were made with the same process: Goosebumps, which is a resist spray was applied with a stencil. Once dry the pigment was sprinkled onto the canvas and sprayed with water. What I learned, is that you can not touch, adjust work the pigments in this state. Leave them alone and let them dry. Once dry, you can add more, or spray and remove. After dry, burnish the background to remove the pigment off of the resist. I found that the honeycomb pattern, with a light hand, so a lot of white area, worked best. I used the middle and the bottom left. A third piece was used, and is represented in the smaller framed picture. It was made using Brusho. Same technique but with a different pigment. Personally I like the ColourArte Primary Elements best as they are easier to manage and control.
Next step was to create the foliage. There again, simpler seemed best. Using two colors of green card stock, I directly applied Momento ink in Bamboo leaves and highlighted with Cantaloupe. Added a vein and darkened the area with a Momento marker in Bamboo Leaves as well. Then cut them out using a photo of Seaweed as a reference.
Next Arrange the leaves onto the background. I used a combination of glue, foam tape and dimensional squares. The glue I used was Glossy Accents and was needed as the Goosebumps Resist, prevented the dimensional from sticking well. The first canvas I made, required extensive repair to get my fish and foliage to stay put. The extra glue has held and my fish have not moved since reinforcing them with extra glue.
The Fish: These are clown fish, a quick search on Google demonstrated there is great variety to this little fellow, but I chose the coloring made famous by "Little Nemo".
I used two Twinkling H20's: Mango Mamba and Rich Coral. These were blended on the image to create the lights and shadow. The Twinks are perfect here. They give just enough shimmer to reflect light and give the impression of a swimming fish. After completing the orange areas, I tackled the White area first. Here caused some issues. While bending the fish, all of the white products cracked.
Liquitex Basic White did not crack when I bent and manipulated the fish for the 3D look. I used it thick, without watering down, and it was not a smooth paint job as this water color paper is quite textured,
The black area was colored using a Faber-Castell Pitt Pen in black. This is india ink and remains moveable until dry and then becomes permanent. This gave me the opportunity to create light and dark areas. Where I wanted it lighter I did not add the Pitt but left the Stazon as the color way. Where I needed to touch up the white or add shadow, I used the Pitt Pen. After fussy cutting, the Pitt pen was used to color around the edges.
Final step. The Fish were bent and molded to resemble how they would look swimming and then were glued into place. One set was turned into a card and the larger framed picture was created from the rest of the pieces. The smaller picture was the first one created and was a true learning experience.
Here is a link to the Video, so that you can watch the entire process.
This was a fun project.
My next video for ColourArte will be for Breast Cancer Awareness, stay tuned. Stop back by for more creations as I explore the latest kit by ClubScrap: Big Top.
You Tube: ColourArte
ColourArt: Twinkling H20: Mango Mamba and Rich Coral
Primary Elements: Ancient Coin, Beach house Blue,
Azurite, Blue Zircon
Inks: Momento: Bamboo Leaves and Cantaloup
Goose Bumps: Resist Spray by Tsukineko
Stamps: Clown Fish: http://designsbyryn.com/index.php/shop1/#!/Sea-Creatures/c/2574165/offset=9&sort=normal
Sentiment on Card: Club Scrap: http://cludscrap.com. Transformation, September Kit 2015
Frames: Shadow box frame from Michaels